Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Keep on keepin' on


Every morning when we wake up it takes a bit for us to realize where we are and what we are doing here.  I guess moving after living in one place for nearly twenty five years will do that to you.  

My new wake-up routine reminds me of the end of the movie, 50 First Dates, in that I replay a mental video of recent events to get me up to speed as to why I am in a strange bed, in a strange room, in a strange house, in a…well, you get the picture.

It is good to go through the cognitive gymnastics and replay the myriad of decisions and actions that have brought us here.  It gives pause for reflection and allows for a moment of gratitude.  And, it also provides clarity and affirmation that this is where we are supposed to be.

Which isn't to say that life here isn't without its struggles, sacrifices, or acute moments of pining for our kids, our family, and our friends.  But, it is the life we have chosen and we owe it to ourselves to work diligently towards making every day a good one.

I'm not going to say that it has always been easy, but in some ways, being here does make it easier.  At the very least, for me, the recovery rate of going from a downcast mood to happy one is much quicker here.  Maybe it is the immense beauty that envelops us.  Or the authentic happiness that we see reflected in people's faces everyday.  Or maybe, it is the feel of the warmth on our skin, the deep blue of the sky, and brightness of the sun in our eyes.  

But for whatever the reason, I know that being here makes us feel good about...being here.  And that gives us heart in living this extraordinary adventure.

Take care and enjoy, 
- Mahalo

2 comments:

  1. Now up to speed on your blog posts! I relish in the slower pace and time for reflection and pause at the immense beauty that surrounds you. I strive to let it be and take it in up here on the hill in Talent. There's so much the world presents to us if only we are present. I haven't been to the islands for 21 years (I know huh?!) and although it has changed immensely, its intrinsic qualities shine on and 'dat makes me smile. So keep on keepin' on Bruddah...Love Your Cousin Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Cuz! Thank you for your comment. I am in total agreement with you in that there is so much available to us if only we show up and take the time to pay attention. Whether on a hill in Talent, or on a beach on the North Shore, there is so much beauty that continually surrounds us. I get chicken skin sometimes by the sheer magnitude of it all (in a good way). We have learned so much from this move and we are happy to say that we still have so much more to learn. Life continues to be a truly amazing experience. Please give everyone our best.
      Take care and enjoy,
      Stephen

      Delete